Whether you’re in the middle of a restoration project or just keeping your classic tucked away for a few months until the weather improves, our competitive Laid Up/SORN insurance will help protect your vehicle.

Commonly asked questions are “can you insure a SORN car?” and “if I declare my car SORN, do I need insurance?” and the answer is yes. Car insurance whilst SORN it is advised if your beloved classic is off the road, as it can still be targeted by thieves, or damaged by fire.


SORN/Laid Up cover protects your pride and joy, even if it’s not on the road. Whether your classic car, campervan or classic motorbike is garaged due to the seasonal changes, or whether you’re in the process of restoring your classic, our Laid Up/SORN insurance can give you the cover you need, including:

  • Covers your vehicle for accidental damage, fire and theft
  • Free agreed valuation if the vehicle is complete
  • You can convert your laid up insurance to on the road cover once you’re ready to get driving again


If you’re in need of a free, no-obligation quote for SORN car insurance, simply fill out the form below and we’ll be in touch.


Your Laid Up/SORN insurance can be tailored specifically to you. We offer many additional extras alongside our SORN insurance cover that you can include with your policy to ensure that you have everything covered.

Key Protect

If your key gets lost or stolen, Key Protect covers the cost of replacement and related expenses.

Personal Accident Cover

Cover you and your partner for up to £50,000 for bodily injury or death while driving or as a passenger.

Heritage Motor Legal

Get cover of up to £100,000 for any legal costs involved in claiming against an uninsured driver, injury compensation claims and recovering uninsured losses.

Road Rescue

Get breakdown cover including misfuelling cover and European driving, provided by ALPS and their award-winning claims service.


What is a SORN?

A SORN is a ‘Statutory Off-Road Notification’, and you can apply for a SORN if you want to take your vehicle off the road. You should make a SORN if your vehicle isn’t taxed, if your vehicle isn’t insured (even for a short time), or if you’re breaking your vehicle down into parts. You can find out more about a SORN, and what you need to make a SORN here.

How to insure a SORN car

You can insure a SORN car with Heritage Laid Up/SORN car insurance just by giving us a call, whether or not you have currently got your car insurance with us. The SORN vehicle needs to be garaged and will have no cover for road use under a SORN car insurance policy, so your cover will be for accidental damage, fire and theft only. If you’re in need of SORN insurance, click here for a quote.

If I declare my car SORN, do I need insurance?

It’s not a legal requirement to have insurance if your car has been declared as SORN, as long as you don’t at any point park it or drive it on the road while it’s SORN, but it is advisable if you’d like to cover your vehicle for accidental damage, fire and theft. Otherwise, it won’t be possible to claim for any damage that your vehicle sustains while laid up.

Can you SORN a car and keep it insured?

Yes, you can SORN your car and still keep it insured. It’s important to know that if you SORN your car mid-way through a policy, it will only be insured for Fire and Theft during that period, and you’ll be unable to drive the car on the road. Once you need your car on the road again and take it off SORN, you’ll need to adjust your insurance accordingly.

If I SORN my car is my insurance still valid?

If you SORN your car, your existing policy will only cover the car whilst not on the road. There will be valid cover for accidental damage, fire and theft, but not if you unlawfully drive or park the vehicle on the road.

What are the SORN insurance rules?

For Heritage SORN car insurance, you’ll need to ensure that your car is garaged throughout the policy. Your Laid Up and SORN car insurance policy will ensure that your car is covered for accidental damage, fire and theft.

How do I declare my car off the road?

To declare your car off the road, you’ll need to inform the DVLA so that you can make a SORN for your vehicle. You can choose when the SORN will start, and you can apply online or via post. Find out more information here.

Can I drive my car if it has been SORN?

Our SORN car insurance covers your vehicle for accidental damage, fire and theft, but not for driving on the road. You can’t legally drive or park your car on the road if a SORN has been applied.
customer reviews